ATLAS and the Minnesota Department of Education invite you to engage in a unique PD opportunity: an evidence-based approach to career-focused contextualized basic skills instruction!
- Do you want to learn more about Backward Design and contextualized lesson planning?
- Do you want to make learning relevant to the work lives of your adult learners?
- Are you interested in teaching a career focused class but aren’t sure how to focus on career content and build basic skills at the same time?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then please consider participating in the Career-Focused Contextualized Basic Skills Instruction (CCI) Cohort. This is an excellent opportunity for you to learn more about contextualized instruction! CCI applications are out NOW and this is your time to apply.
Schedule and Activities
The CCI Cohort is a 5-month professional development activity. It will kick off on January 19, 2017 with an interactive webinar and continue with three face-to-face meetings in the metro area (February 9 and 10, and a final meeting on May 19, 2017). There will be online and phone coaching sessions to support your curriculum development from March - May.
We will explore the principles of Backward Design and use those principles as a guide to 1) determine desired learning outcomes and to 2) select materials, activities, and assessments. Participants will choose from one of several career fields that have been identified as growth industries in the state and will work to develop one contextualized unit.
CCI Cohort Outcomes
- Design career-focused units/lessons to use in your classroom with guidance from experienced coaches
- Learn how Minnesota ABE Content Standards can assist in developing successful, evidence-based career-focused contextualized instruction
- Receive career-focused unit/lesson plans and teaching materials that have been tested in local programs
- Earn 30 CEUs and a $300 stipend upon completion of all cohort requirements