Please forward this message to your colleagues - Proposals due April 3, 2017!
Literacy Action Network and the Minnesota Community Education Association are now seeking presentation proposals for the 2017 ABE State Summer Institute, which will be held August 16-18 at the St. Cloud Civic Center, St. Cloud, MN. We hope that new and experienced ABE staff will consider sharing their ideas and expertise with their colleagues at this regional conference. We received very positive feedback on last year’s excellent presentations and we look forward to another strong program.
Presentation proposals will be blind reviewed, scored, and selected using a scoring rubric. With a blind review process, reviewers must rely on the quality of the proposal and the level of detail provided. Please note that your presentation proposal should be as clear as possible. Presenters are strongly encouraged to review the scoring criteria as they are preparing their proposals.
Proposals are due April 3, 2017. Presenters will be notified by May 19, 2017 whether their proposal(s) has/have been accepted.
We have lots of options for presenters:
- 90-minute concurrent session (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday)
- 45-minute concurrent session (Thursday 11:15-12:00 and Friday 11:00-11:45 a.m.)
- Poster session (application information and links will be sent in a future email)
If you are feeling anxious about presenting solo, consider asking one of your talented colleagues to be a co-presenter!
Each year, a number of excellent proposals are submitted that, unfortunately, due to time and space constraints, cannot all be accepted. If you have previously submitted a proposal, please don’t be shy about resubmitting! A great idea is a great idea!
We are looking for proposals that address all types of Adult Basic Education instruction:
- English as a Second Language
- GED and Adult Diploma Preparation
- College and Career Readiness
- Digital Literacy and Distance Learning
- Math, reading, literacy skills, and more!
We also need proposals that address issues in:
- ABE management and policy
- Diversity and equity
- Working with community partners
- Volunteer management
One of the strengths of Summer Institute is its diversity of topics that speak to all ABE staff across all our services.
All proposals will be submitted online. The Online Call for Proposals form and all supporting materials can be found at the LAN website.
- Online Proposal Submission form
- Proposal worksheet (The online Proposal Submission form does not allow you to save. Please use the worksheet to help you prepare your information.)
- Proposal scoring rubric
- Handbook of presentation tips
- Examples of past proposals
- Presenter mini-tutorial