Minnesota has been a Student Achievement in Reading (STAR) state for ten years. This partnership with Project STAR and the Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education (OCTAE) allows us to access a comprehensive professional development (PD) and technical assistance (TA) package that “teaches ABE instructors to use evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI) in the classroom” (https://startoolkit.org).
Implementation of EBRI aligns with a Workforce Opportunity Investment Act (WOIA) requirement to “incorporate the essential components of reading and disseminate information about models and promising practices, as they relate to adults and programs” (https://www2.ed.gov). EBRI is also considered a priority by MDE-ABE state staff.
STAR three-year plan
The first cohort of MN ABE managers and teachers (STAR 09) attended STAR Institutes during 2008-2009. Seven other cohorts (STAR 10-16) attended during 2009-2016. Over 150 MN ABE participants have been trained in STAR practices, which are proven to increase the reading achievement of Intermediate ABE and Advanced ESL students. If your ABE program has not yet participated, consider this three-year plan:
- STAR 18 (2017-2018) will include 4 face-to-face Institutes delivered over 7 days and ongoing TA from 2 certified STAR trainers.
- STAR 19 (2018-2019) will not include any Institutes but will offer ongoing TA from mostly the STAR coordinator (like during STAR 17).
- STAR 20 (2019-2020) will use a new hybrid model, where participants learn the training content, complete assignments, and receive STAR trainer coaching online. There will be 3 or 4 day-long meetings.
STAR 18 schedule
Because the fall is so busy in ABE, ATLAS is postponing STAR 18 application until September and waiting until November to begin STAR Institutes. The following 7 days of STAR trainings will occur at Hamline University in the Anderson Center. Breakfast, lunch, lodging and mileage reimbursement (beyond 50 miles) will be provided.
- STAR Institute I: November 16-17, 2017
- STAR Institute II: February 8-9, 2018
- STAR Institute III: April 26-27, 2018
- All-STAR Institute IV: June 1, 2018 (Putting STAR + CCRS All Together)
If you have any questions, please contact me anytime this summer. I will have more STAR (and EBRI study circle) information available at the ATLAS vendor table during Summer Institute. I already have the names of 13-15 participants from continuing STAR programs, BUT there is plenty of room for new reading teachers to participate in “tried and true” STAR Institutes during 2017-2018.