Please forward this message to your colleagues - Proposals due April 2, 2018!
Literacy Action Network and the Minnesota Community Education Association are now seeking presentation proposals for the 2018 ABE State Summer Institute (SI), which will be held August 15-17 at the St. Cloud River’s Edge Convention Center in St. Cloud, MN. Please come to this fun and educational event to see friends and colleagues, share your expertise and ideas and learn from others.
Presentation proposals will be blindly reviewed, scored, and selected based on a scoring rubric. Because this is a blind review process, it’s important to be clear about your session and provide as much detail as possible since reviewers cannot rely on your great reputation or excellent past sessions when making their selections.
It’s always wise to review the scoring criteria before writing your proposal.
Proposals are due April 2, 2018. The committee will notify presenters about their proposals by May 18, 2018.
We have many session format and length options, including:
- 90-minute concurrent session (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday)
- 45-minute concurrent session (Thursday 11:15-12:00 and Friday 11:00-11:45 a.m.)
- Poster session (applications are being accepted now through mid-summer)
If you are feeling anxious about presenting solo, consider asking one of your talented colleagues to be a co-presenter!
Each year, a number of excellent proposals are turned down simply because of logistical issues (time and space. Last year’s proposals (even if they were not accepted) could be the great sessions of 2018, so please don’t be shy about re-submitting.
We are looking for proposals that address all types of Adult Basic Education instruction:
- English as a Second Language (we had a shortage of ESL sessions last year so please consider presenting in this area!)
- GED and Adult Diploma Preparation
- College and Career Readiness
- Digital Literacy and Distance Learning
- Math, reading, literacy skills, and more!
We also need proposals that address issues in:
- ABE management and policy
- Diversity and equity
- Working with community partners
- Volunteer management
One of the strengths of Summer Institute is its diversity of sessions. All proposals must be submitted online here: LAN website.
- Online Proposal Submission form
- Proposal worksheet (The online Proposal Submission form does not allow you to save. Please use the worksheet to help you prepare your information.)
- Proposal scoring rubric
- Handbook of presentation tips
- Examples of past proposals
- Presenter mini-tutorial