CCRS ELA Standards
The College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education (CCRS) are a central component of the content standards being implemented in Minnesota ABE; they form the foundation of the CCRS Implementation Cohort, a year-long MN ABE professional development activity that prepares program teams to align curriculum and instruction to the CCR standards and develop a long-term standards implementation plan for their program.
The CCRS is divided into two sections: English Language Arts and Literacy (ELA) and Mathematics.
The ELA section of the CCRS can be found on pages 9-43.
CCRS and the Reading Foundational Skills
In Minnesota ABE’s 2016 Professional Development (PD) Survey, a number of respondents wondered if the College & Career Readiness Standards (CCRS) for English Language Arts/Literacy (ELA) address the reading needs of students at lower levels.
The two documents below describe Minnesota's combination of Common Core State Standards (CCSS) + CCRS Reading Foundational Skills 1-4, at Levels K-5. The result is a complete and clear sequence for teaching alphabetics and fluency to adult readers at Beginning and Intermediate levels. Reading research and practice recommend balanced literacy instruction – emphasizing BOTH print and meaning-making skills.
Download - Reading Foundational (RF) Skills 1-4, K-5
Download - Where in the CCRS World are Alphabetics and Fluency? *
* This document also provides links to FREE professional development, instructional, and audio/visual resources – all from Minnesota ABE practitioners!
Teaching CCRS Reading Foundational Skills
This FREE (with a login), self-paced, flexible, and interactive course is facilitated by Marn Frank, ATLAS Literacy & STAR Coordinator. It was created for Beginning and Intermediate ABE/ESL teachers, support staff, and volunteers who want to improve their understanding, testing, and teaching of beginning alphabetics and fluency. These two reading components are considered the Print Skills and align closely with Reading Standards: Foundational Skills (or RF) 1-4.
Course participants can:
- Simply browse the course OR earn 3-6 CEUs by completing all or some units, activities, and a final assignment (negotiated with Marn)
- Review reading research findings from a variety of adult literacy reports published between 2000-2013
- Print and use informal tests, four lesson plans, related instructional tools, and lists of activities for improving RF 1-3 or beginning alphabetics skills
- Print and use informal test materials, a lesson plan, and emergent or grade-leveled text for improving RF 4 or fluency skills
- Review inspiring case studies from Minnesota ABE/ESL reading teachers about their beginning alphabetics and/or fluency instruction
VISIT WEBSITE (once there, simply create an account if you don't have one, and look for the above title within "Available Courses")