CCRS ELA Lesson/Unit Planning Template
This standards-aligned lesson plan template is designed to be used to incorporate the 3 CCRS ELA shifts into unit/lesson plans. This template also provides opportunities to reflect on all the major content standards used in Minnesota’s ABE system and other important components of adult literacy instruction.
Download - Word
Download - PDF
CCRS Individualized Instruction Planning Tool
The CCRS Individualized Instruction Planning Tool is intended to help teachers in one-room school house or other individualized instruction settings plan and document standards-aligned experiences for all students. This document could be used as a teacher planning tool or as a tracking document in a student’s folder.
Download - Word
Download - PDF
CCRS and the Reading Foundational Skills
In Minnesota ABE’s 2016 Professional Development (PD) Survey, a number of respondents wondered if the College & Career Readiness Standards (CCRS) for English Language Arts/Literacy (ELA) address the reading needs of students at lower levels.
The two documents below describe Minnesota's combination of Common Core State Standards (CCSS) + CCRS Reading Foundational Skills 1-4, at Levels K-5. The result is a complete and clear sequence for teaching alphabetics and fluency to adult readers at Beginning and Intermediate levels. Reading research and practice recommend balanced literacy instruction – emphasizing BOTH print and meaning-making skills.
Download - Reading Foundational (RF) Skills 1-4, K-5
Download - Where in the CCRS World are Alphabetics and Fluency? *
* This document also provides links to FREE professional development, instructional, and audio/visual resources – all from Minnesota ABE practitioners!
CCRS for Adult ESL - Resources
This handout compiled by CASAS in 2014 provides links to resources related to CCRS and Adult ESL, as well as a handy list of acronyms.
Congratulations! You're Getting Engaged (With the Text!)
Spring 2016 ABE Regionals - Kristine Kelly, Lia Olson, Janet Sparks, Patsy Egan Vinogradov
Download - Text-Dependent Questions PPT
Download - Text-Dependent Qs Aligned to CCR Reading Anchors
Download - Progression of Text-Dependent Qs
Download - Evaluating a Question Set
More Fun with Text Complexity! Really.
Fall 2015 ABE Regionals - Kristine Kelly
Download - Text Complexity PPT
Download - Qualitative Analysis Rubric
Download - Guidelines for Text Complexity Analysis
Download - Reader & Task Considerations
Reading A to E: A Closer Look at the CCRS Reading Standards
2016 Language & Literacy Institute - Kristine Kelly & Janet Sparks
Download - PowerPoint
Teaching CCRS Reading Foundational Skills
This FREE (with a login), self-paced, flexible, and interactive course is facilitated by Marn Frank, ATLAS Literacy & STAR Coordinator. It was created for Beginning and Intermediate ABE/ESL teachers, support staff, and volunteers who want to improve their understanding, testing, and teaching of beginning alphabetics and fluency. These two reading components are considered the Print Skills and align closely with Reading Standards: Foundational Skills (or RF) 1-4.
Course participants can:
- Simply browse the course OR earn 3-6 CEUs by completing all or some units, activities, and a final assignment (negotiated with Marn)
- Review reading research findings from a variety of adult literacy reports published between 2000-2013
- Print and use informal tests, four lesson plans, related instructional tools, and lists of activities for improving RF 1-3 or beginning alphabetics skills
- Print and use informal test materials, a lesson plan, and emergent or grade-leveled text for improving RF 4 or fluency skills
- Review inspiring case studies from Minnesota ABE/ESL reading teachers about their beginning alphabetics and/or fluency instruction
VISIT WEBSITE (once there, simply create an account if you don't have one, and look for the above title within "Available Courses")