- This event has passed.
- Statewide Fall 2020 Teaching and Learning at a Distance Conference
Statewide Fall 2020 Teaching and Learning at a Distance ConferenceNovember 5, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - November 6, 2020 @ 3:00 pm CST Free
Due to Covid-19, the North and South Regional events have been repurposed as the Statewide Fall 2020 Teaching and Learning at a Distance Conference. This virtual conference is open to attendees from all regions of Minnesota.
Registration Deadline: THU. 11/5/20
If you require ASL Interpretation, please contact Gail Rutan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: A detailed Program Flyer with session descriptions will be sent upon registration; this flyer has Zoom links for every workshop, so keep it open during the event!
DAY 1: Thursday, November 5, 2020
12:00: Log in to check sound & video
12:15: Welcome and Introduction
12:30-1:30: Concurrent Session 1 (3 session choices)
- Using Volunteers in the Virtual Classroom
- Teaching Digital Literacy Skills at a Distance
- Increase Reading Fluency, Comprehension, and More!
1:45-2:45: Concurrent Session 2 (3 session choices)
- Low-level adult ESL, not online, but using packets & volunteers!
- Help, I’m Burned Out! Methods to Reduce & Prevent Burnout for Staff & Students
- How to Support Learners in Accessing Technology: a Panel Discussion
3:00-4:00: Concurrent Session 3 (3 session choices)
- Manager Meetup: Managing in a Virtual World
- Math Resources in Minutes: Introducing SkillBlox!
- Introducing E-DRA and E-Alphabetics: Electronic Testing and Teaching Tools
4:15-5:00: ABE Affinity Groups (5 group choices)
- LGBT+/Queer Professionals, BIPOC Professionals, Non-Native English Speaking Professionals, Anti-Racism
DAY 2: Friday, November 6, 2020
8:45: Log in to check sound & video
9:00: Welcome and Introduction
9:15-10:15: Concurrent Session 4 (3 session choices)
- Healthcare Careers Pathway networking
- Choosing a Distance Learning Platform
- Remote Teaching, MacGyver Style
10:25-11:05: Networking Coffee Break (8 group choices)
- Managing DL Programs, One-Room Schoolhouse, Low-level ESL, Intermediate/Advanced ESL, Math, HSE/GED/Diploma, ACP/IET, Dev Ed Collaborations
11:15-12:15: Concurrent Session 5 (3 session choices)
- Common Lit and Blended Instruction in a Virtual Classroom: How to Make Learning Fun and Interactive!
- In Their Own Words: Students Talk about Success Strategies for Remote Learning
- Life After Learner Web
12:15-12:45: Lunch Break
12:45-1:45 Concurrent Session 6 (3 session choices)
- Engaging with Purpose: tools for keeping students engaged in online learning
- Can’t Touch This: Teaching and Learning in Person in 2020
- Connecting with Your Writing Students in the Virtual Classroom
2:00-3:00: Concurrent Session 7 (3 session choices)
- Desmos Creation Station
- Talk Amongst Yourselves: Building Up to Student Facilitated Conversations
- Online CASAS & TABE Testing 101