- This event has passed.
- Volunteer Navigator Training – 2/17 & 2/24/20
Volunteer Navigator Training – 2/17 & 2/24/20February 24, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm CST Free
Registration Deadline: MON. 2/17/20
Literacy Minnesota (formerly the Minnesota Literacy Council) has developed and is piloting a new training program to prepare volunteers to be navigators in Adult Basic Education programs. Navigators are a mix of mentor, coach, cheerleader and guidance counselor. As a navigator, you’ll help students one-on-one in a variety of ways, from helping them increase their confidence and persist in school to assisting them in identifying and attaining their goals. Depending on the program, volunteers may provide navigation outside of class or as part of their role as an academic tutor. Come to this two-part training (on 2/17 and 2/24) to learn more about becoming a volunteer navigator and next steps to get started!
After this training, volunteer navigators will:
- Understand the barriers to learner persistence.
- Be able to help students identify academic and career goals and know how to support them in those goals.
- Understand ways to create a trusting and positive relationship with students.
- Be able to provide a bridge for students from one academic or career step to the next.
- Have strategies to help students overcome barriers that may prevent them from reaching their goals.
To be a navigator, volunteers must have prior experience with adult learners or working in a counseling or human resources related field.
- Literacy Minnesota – main office
700 Raymond Ave., Ste. 180
Saint Paul, MN 55114 United States + Google Map
- View Venue Website
Looking for agendas and session descriptions from previous ATLAS events? Check out our Event Flyer Archive!
Get an overview of all MN Adult Education professional development (PD) activities in one convenient, searchable place!
CEUs for Viewing ATLAS Recordings
Couldn’t attend a particular ATLAS webinar or virtual event? You can view a recording and earn 1 CEU by filling out this application form!Get Details