- This event has passed.
- Volunteer Navigator Training
Volunteer Navigator TrainingOctober 14, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm CDT
An event every week that begins at 6:00 pm on Monday, repeating until October 21, 2019
Registration Deadline: MON. 10/14/19
The Minnesota Literacy Council has developed and is piloting a new training program to prepare volunteers to be navigators in Adult Basic Education programs. Navigators are a mix of mentor, coach, cheerleader and guidance counselor. As a navigator, you’ll help students one-on-one in a variety of ways, from helping them increase their confidence and persist in school to assisting them in identifying and attaining their goals. Depending on the program, volunteers may provide navigation outside of class or as part of their role as an academic tutor. Come to this two-part training to learn more about becoming a volunteer navigator and next steps to get started!
After this training, volunteer navigators will:
- Understand the barriers to learner persistence.
- Be able to help students identify academic and career goals and know how to support them in those goals.
- Understand ways to create a trusting and positive relationship with students.
- Be able to provide a bridge for students from one academic or career step to the next.
- Have strategies to help students overcome barriers that may prevent them from reaching their goals.
To be a navigator, volunteers must have prior experience with adult learners or working in a counseling or human resources related field.
***Please note: Not all sites use navigators. Contact Wendy at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about current openings.***