- This event has passed.
- Antiracist Praxis Study Circle, Summer 2022
Antiracist Praxis Study Circle, Summer 2022June 29 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm CDT
An event every week that begins at 3:00 pm on Wednesday, repeating until July 20, 2022
Application Deadline: FRI. 5/27/22
APPLY NOW >>
- NOTE: Participation will be limited to keep the group a manageable size.
Study Circle Meetings: ONLINE via Zoom, on Wednesdays from 3-5 pm (CDT) as follows:
- Wednesday, June 15
- Wednesday, June 22
- Wednesday June 29
- Wednesday, July 13
- Wednesday, July 20
Facilitator: Cydnee Sanders
Description: Many of us have heard the terms antiracist and DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion), but how do we actually implement these large frameworks into our adult English classrooms? This study circle goes beyond defining antiracism and explores how the research around Translanguaging by Ofelia García and Culturally Responsive Teaching by Zaretta Hammond provide us with tools to change the way we approach teaching.
The study circle is not intended to be a basic “what is racism” professional development activity, so we have some working assumptions and hope those interested in joining can agree to start with these foundational beliefs:
- Racism is systemic. White supremacy and systemic racism are leading problems in our education system. These systems are especially harmful to people of color and the English language learners we serve.
- Identifying and addressing implicit bias is paramount to this work. It is a personal journey, and we all enter this work together from different places.
- It is not enough to be “not racist” but we have to be intentionally antiracist.
- We are willing to work in a collaborative environment and to hold each other accountable.
Time Commitment: 5 two-hour meetings, plus an expected 1-2 hours per week of preparation by reading, viewing, and reflecting on assigned tasks
CEUs: 20 for those who attend ALL 5 meetings and complete all study circle activities
Stipends: $100 for those who attend ALL 5 meetings and complete all study circle activities
If you require ASL Interpretation, please contact Gail Rutan at firstname.lastname@example.org