- This event has passed.
- Antiracist Praxis Study Circle
Antiracist Praxis Study CircleOctober 28, 2021 @ 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm CDT Free
Application Deadline: WED. 10/6/21
- NOTE: Participation will be limited to keep the group a manageable size.
Study Circle Meetings: ONLINE via Zoom, on Thursdays from 2:30-4:30 PM as follows:
- October 28
- November 4
- November 11
- November 18
- December 2
Facilitator: Cydnee Sanders
Description: Many of us have heard the terms antiracist and DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion), but how do we actually implement these large frameworks into our adult English classrooms? This study circle goes beyond defining antiracism and explores how the research around Translanguaging by Ofelia García and Culturally Responsive Teaching by Zaretta Hammond provide us with tools to change the way we approach teaching.
The study circle is not intended to be a basic “what is racism” professional development activity, so we have some working assumptions and hope those interested in joining can agree to start with these foundational beliefs:
- Racism is systemic. White supremacy and systemic racism are leading problems in our education system. These systems are especially harmful to people of color and the English language learners we serve.
- Identifying and addressing implicit bias is paramount to this work. It is a personal journey, and we all enter this work together from different places.
- It is not enough to be “not racist” but we have to be intentionally antiracist.
- We are willing to work in a collaborative environment and to hold each other accountable.
Time Commitment: 5 two-hour meetings, plus an expected 1-2 hours per week of preparation by reading, viewing, and reflecting on assigned tasks
CEUs: 20 for those who attend ALL 5 meetings and complete all study circle activities
Stipends: $100 for those who attend ALL 5 meetings and complete all study circle activities