- This event has passed.
- Cultural Perspectives for Diverse Adult Learners
Cultural Perspectives for Diverse Adult LearnersJune 14, 2021 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm CDT Free
Registration Deadline: MON. 6/14/21
Anaïs Nin, author of Little Birds, was quoted as saying, “We don’t see people as they are.” Cultural differences can promote diversity in thought and enrichment in a learning environment. These differences can also serve as barriers to student success which is the antithesis of what ought to occur in educational communities. This presentation will cover topics ranging from cultural perspectives and cultural humility to implicit bias in Adult Basic Education.
Participants will explore cultural perspectives and the need for cultural humility related to enhancing the outcomes of adult learners and educators’ professional development. Learning will be acquired through breakout groups, short videos, discussion and facilitation of the topic.
- Gain awareness of one’s cultural perspectives, social location and the need for cultural humility in Adult Basic Education.
- Begin recognizing and grappling with issues related to culture, identity, bias, privilege and power that can enhance and/or impede learners.
- Define implicit bias and identify strategies for overcoming negative and harmful biases.
- Expect and accept non-closure as a commitment of life-long learning.