Teaching ABE Students About Mental Health
Approximate time to complete course: 4 hours
During the workshop you will:
- Consider and reflect on questions about teaching ABE students of all levels about mental health and common mental health concerns.
- Review Unit 1, What is Mental Health? lesson plans and resources to consider uses within your own class.
- Review Unit 2, Common Mental Health Concerns lesson plans and resources to consider uses within your own class.
There are three videos and three parts to the workshop, each part consisting of a Zoom video and Google slides. To earn CEUs, you will complete two assignments for the workshop:
- a reflection paper
- a lesson plan based on one of those in the units: explain how you would tweak, adapt, and teach it
This workshop is intended to address the re-licensure area for Understanding Key Warning Signs of Early Onset Mental Illness in Adolescents and Adults (Minnesota Statute 122A.09 and 122A.18). Teachers who complete all units/parts, including the reflection paper and adapted lesson plan, will receive four state-approved Continuing Education Units (CEUs).*
* Please note: Final approval of CEUs is granted by local re-licensure committees operating in K-12 public school districts.