Content standards are new to Adult Basic Education in Minnesota, and you are in the right place to learn more! In MN ABE, we recognize the many skills our students need to transition to whatever is next for them – be it post-secondary studies, career training programs, job advancement, or deeper community involvement.
As seen in the visual above, the business of Adult Basic Education is helping students attain basic skills, professional/soft skills, and digital literacy skills in order to transition into whatever is next for them. This is the "what" of instruction in ABE. All of these skills are taught against a backdrop (here in blue) of content, the subject matter being taught. This backdrop might be life skills, if teachers are working with new arrivals to the US for example, or it may be occupational in nature, or focused on science or social studies if preparing students for GED or a secondary diploma. Content might also include civics, citizenship, or family literacy, depending on the program and context.
Content Standards in Minnesota ABE
Below you can view a short introductory video on content standards! This 8-minute video briefly summarizes the role of standards in education and outlines MN ABE's content standards specifically.
Content Standards Documents in Minnesota ABE
Three main documents guide the content of MN ABE classrooms, each focusing on an essential area of knowledge and skills our adult students need.
CCRS Implementation Team, FY16
- College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education (CCRS) – English Language Arts/Literacy, Math, and Foundational Reading Skills.
- Transitions Integration Framework (TIF) – Key transitions skills in the areas of effective communication, developing a future pathway, navigating systems, learning strategies, and more. This document is a main component of the Academic, Career, and Employability Skills (ACES) initiative.
- For a summarized version of this in-depth document, see the TIF at a Glance.
- Northstar Digital Literacy Standards – Basic digital literacy skills needed to perform tasks on computers and online.
How can I learn more?
|NEW! For a list of all the available resources related to MN ABE content standards, check out the Content Standards Resources document under RELATED RESOURCES in the box on the right.|
|NEW! Get an introduction to the CCRS and 5-6 CEUs by taking a FREE online course, CCRS Foundations: An Introduction to the College & Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education! Find out more >>|
In addition, please check out the following:
- Content Standards Resource Library
- General information about the ACES initiative
- ACES Resource Library
- General information about Northstar Digital Literacy