Academic Word Finder
As we well know in MN ABE, the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for K-12 and our own College and Career Readiness Standards (CCRS) recommend regular instruction and practice with academic (or Tier 2) vocabulary words. This requires teachers to be on the alert for their presence in a variety of written and leveled texts.
The Academic Word Finder is a free electronic tool from Achieve the Core that quickly identifies academic words in copied and pasted texts. It is not intended to “replace teacher judgment; rather, it helps to support the teacher and identify the most useful academic words.” After you set up a login with an email address and password, you are ready to follow these simple steps for finding academic words from selected texts!
- Copy the text you want to analyze.
- Paste that text into the open box on the homepage.
- Select the grade level and click submit.
- Enter the details of your search for your reference and automatic saving.
- View all of the words in order of appearance in the text.
- Print, export, or email the list and use it to plan academic vocabulary instruction!