- MN ABE Connect
- CCRS Cohort Applications Due May 31!
CCRS Cohort Applications Due May 31!Kristine Kelly, Literacy & ELA Coordinator
Is your program ready to dig into implementing the College & Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education? Would you benefit from a team of teachers and an administrator from your site working together throughout the year with face-to-face workshops on English Language Arts (ELA) and Math, focused time to plan together, and technical assistance from CCRS specialists? Consider applying for the fourth CCRS Cohort beginning fall 2019!
This CCRS Implementation Cohort is an intensive, long-term professional development activity from ATLAS. Participation in this training will prepare program teams to align curriculum and instruction to the CCR standards and develop a long-term standards implementation plan for their program.
But don’t take just my word for it! Check out what three participants in this year’s Cohort recently had to say:
“Participating in the CCRS cohort has inspired me to hold higher expectations of myself as a teacher: creating lessons that are worthwhile and based on complex texts; integrating meaningful writing, speaking and listening, language, and reading tasks; and facilitating more opportunities for students to engage in productive struggle. Due to my CCRS cohort work, I also hold higher expectations of my students, and they are rising to the challenge.” (from Rochester)
“I’m more comfortable now with the CCRS and planning lessons. Actually excited!
The Cohort forced me to do things I have been wanting to do, but now they do not seem so overwhelming. Applying more coherency has made a difference.” (from Moorhead)
“For me, CCRS was both a learning experience and a chance to connect with peers and content experts. As the only ABE teacher at my facility, I so appreciated the opportunity to work collaboratively with job-alikes at other facilities and get to know the CCRS experts who have been there for questions, suggestions and support. Not only has my approach to teaching become better aligned with standards, I also now have peers with which to connect and share resources.” (from MCF-Oak Park Heights)
Please note the following important details when considering whether to apply as a program:
- Prerequisite = CCRS Foundations training in ELA or math, depending on which content area you plan to participate in during the Cohort
- All future Adult Diploma programs need to go through CCRS cohort training prior to launch
- Program application: 3-5 individuals (ideally, at least one administrator/coordinator from a program, one math teacher, and one ELA teacher). There is an opportunity to add more later, if space is available.
Important Dates and Activities
- Kick-off webinar on September 18, 2019 from 2:00-3:30 pm
- CCRS Institute I on October 10-11, 2019 in Burnsville
- December webinars:
- ELA content group: Monday, December 9, 2019 from 2:00-3:30
- Administrators: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 from 10:30-12:00
- Math content group: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 from 2:00-3:30
- CCRS Institute II on February 20-21, 2020 in Burnsville
- April webinars:
- Administrators: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 from 10:30-12:00
- Math content group: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 from 2:00-3:30
- ELA content group: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 from 2:00-3:30
- Ongoing, active, and thoughtful participation in our Schoology online cohort community
- Participation in team meetings and completion of implementation tasks throughout the year at your site
- Phone calls and written correspondence with an assigned CCRS coach throughout the year as needed
Supports for Participants
- ATLAS will reimburse hotel and mileage costs for participants traveling more than 100 miles round trip to the in-person workshops.
- In order to support participation, programs will receive a stipend of $400 per team member upon their completion of all required cohort activities.
What will you learn by being in this cohort?
Program teams will be able to:
- Articulate the benefits of standards-based education for their students, program, & staff
- Align materials and resources used regularly in ABE instruction
- Articulate which standards are being addressed in courses and instruction
- Improve instruction and courses to incorporate shifts and standards appropriate to student levels
- Develop a long-term standards implementation plan for their local program
Administrators will be able to:
- Conduct standards-focused classroom observations and teacher feedback sessions to support implementation and improve instruction
- Identify supports and resources instructors may need to implement standards-based instruction
Instructors will be able to:
- Improve units, lesson plans, and student tasks to incorporate shifts and standards appropriate to student levels
- Participate in standards-focused classroom observations and teacher feedback sessions to support implementation and improve instruction
Apply to participate!
Application for the CCRS Implementation Cohort is due May 31, 2019, and programs will be notified by June 14 of their acceptance.
More details about next year’s cohort can be found in the application (also posted on the APPLICATIONS page). Please direct any questions regarding the application to Kristine Kelly, ATLAS ELA Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get MN ABE Connect—the official source for ABE events, activities, and resources!Sign Up
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/GED/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies