February 8, 2016
Distance Learning Platform ChangesTom Cytron-Hysom, Consultant
Minnesota ABE continues to enhance distance learning (DL) opportunities. Here is current information regarding changes in approved DL platforms:
- Burlington English, a program for English language acquisition, was recently added to the list of approved platforms. It combines face-to-face classroom activities with any time-anywhere access to online interactive courses. The Burlington English SpeechTrainer®, is designed to help students effectively improve their pronunciation and comprehensibility, giving them the confidence to communicate successfully in any situation. This is a fee-supported platform.
- Reading Horizons Elevate, added in late 2014 to the approved platform list, focuses on helping learners learn to read. Content includes sounds of the alphabet, phonetic skills, and decoding proficiency. The platform uses a systematic, multi-disciplinary approach based in Orton-Gillingham principles of instruction. This is a fee-supported platform.
- While Core Skills Mastery has been on the approved list for some time, teachers may not know all that it offers. The platform focuses on helping individuals become better learners, including skills such as problem solving, persistence, confidence and motivation. It also teaches math and literacy skills. This is a free platform, well worth exploring.
- USA Learns, a free platform, has been revamped to make it easier to use. It includes English speaking, listening, vocabulary, pronunciation, reading, spelling, writing, and grammar.
Current information on all approved platforms is available on the MNABE Distance Learning website.
Tom Cytron-Hysom, Consultant MN ABE Distance Learning
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies