Preview: Summer Institute 2018Cathy Grady
The Summer Institute planning committee is gearing up for another fun and fruitful ABE Summer Institute this August.
Here are some of the great things to expect from the conference this year:
- 105 concurrent sessions on everything from CCRS to educational equity, presented by your colleagues and other experts in the field.
- An engaging keynote speaker: New York University professor and award-winning documentary filmmaker Roy Germano will open the conference with a multimedia talk about “who really gains and who really loses when we take…a hardline stance on immigrants and immigration.” His lecture will include a short film with Q & AQ about the history of anti-immigration sentiment in the U.S.
- A book talk and discussion with Hudda Ibrahim, the author of “From Somalia to Snow: How Central Minnesota Became Home to Somalis”; movie night featuring a documentary about the Dadaab Refugee Complex in Kenya, one of the largest refugee camps in the world; bingo, and a morning walk/run, all organized by the Hospitality Committee.
- A new pre-conference workshop, ABE Foundations, that will serve as an orientation to ABE for those who are new to the field or who’ve been around so long they need a refresher; returning pre-conference sessions on CCRS Reading and Math.
- An address by ABE State Director Todd Wagner, a vendor fair, poster session, silent auction, and PONI awards.
To avoid a $25 late fee, you must register for the conference by July 20. Also, register for your pre-conference before this date to ensure you’ll have a spot.
See you at the conference!
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/GED/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies