Updates from PANDAWendy Sweeney, PANDA Manager, MA, Licensed Psychologist Lori Yurick, PANDA Grant Assistant
PANDA’s mission is to provide Minnesota Adult Basic Education programs with disability support, knowledge, and resources to increase academic opportunities for all students.
Our new tagline:
Minnesota Adult Basic Education
Physical And Nonapparent Disability Assistance
Mental health challenges have become more pronounced for many people because of the COVID pandemic. PANDA provides free online professional development courses about various mental health topics, including a new course titled, “Survivors Among Us; Understanding Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Other Traumas Which Can Impact Adult Student Learning.” Descriptions about PANDA courses can be found below:
- New Course: “Survivors Among Us; Understanding Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Other Traumas Which Can Impact Adult Student Learning.” Take this course to help understand PTSD, Adverse Childhood Experiences, and historical trauma. You will discover how trauma impacts learning and how to approach students to de-escalate inappropriate behavior. Gain trauma-informed and post-traumatic growth teaching strategies. Three CEUs intended to meet the re-licensure area of Understanding Students’ Mental Illness Trauma will be provided upon completion and approval.
- “Reducing the Stigma of Mental Illness.” This course will help ABE teachers and volunteers understand mental health disorders common to the adult population. Learn to reduce the stigma of mental illness by understanding what it is like and how common it is. Gain useful information about stress and learn about mental wellness strategies. Three CEUs intended to address the re-licensure area of Understanding Key Warning Signs of Early Onset Mental Illness in Adolescents and Adults will be provided upon completion and approval.
- “Teaching ABE Students About Mental Health.” Everyone knows that physical health is important to students’ well-being. Often, though, educators are reluctant to tackle the topic of mental health in the ABE classroom. By taking this course, you will become more comfortable with and knowledgeable about mental health in general. You will explore the basics around several common mental health concerns through multimedia lesson plans and related resources. Four CEUs intended to address the re-licensure area of Understanding Key Warning Signs of Early Onset Mental Illness in Adolescents and Adults will be provided upon completion and approval.
- “Suicide Prevention for Adult Educators.” This course will help ABE teachers and volunteers learn about suicide and prevention. Master a suicide prevention method and practice role playing how to approach students who show signs of suicidal thinking. 5 CEUs intended to address the re-licensure area for Suicide Prevention Best Practices will be provided upon completion and approval.
- ABE Foundations/Staff Onboarding
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies