What is Low Incidence Disability Aid?
The new Low Incidence Disability Aid process was developed to encourage programs in greater Minnesota to serve students with hearing loss/deafness, vision loss/blindness and traumatic brain injury/stroke. Teaching students with these disabilities often requires additional prep time, training and adaptive equipment, which can be time consuming and costly. If students cannot attend the three metro area programs (listed below) that are designed to specifically serve students with these disabilities, applying for Low Incidence Disability Aid is an option.
Low Incidence Disability Aid is an opt-in process programs can apply for to increase the per hour reimbursement amount for students with these specific disabilities. The elevated rate is approximately $22 per hour (subject to change).
In order to apply for the elevated rate, follow these steps:
- Access the application on PANDA’s disability website.
- Complete the application.
- Obtain documentation of the student’s disability.
- Forward the completed forms to PANDA.
It is recommended that you refer students to the metro area programs that specialize in teaching students with specific disabilities, when possible:
- ThinkSelf – provides education and advocacy to Deaf, DeafBlind, Deaf Disabled and hard of hearing students. https://thinkself.org/
- Minneapolis Adult Education – South Campus – for students with vision loss/blindness. https://abe.mpls.k12.mn.us/
- Robbinsdale Adult Basic Education – for students who have had a stroke or brain injury. https://ced.rdale.org/adults/adult_academic_program/classes_for_stroke___brain_injury_survivors
Please direct any questions to Wendy Sweeney, PANDA Manager
email@example.com or 763-504-4095
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/GED/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies