Distance Learning Website Offers Many ResourcesTom Cytron-Hysom, DL Consultant
The limitations on classroom learning created by the COVID pandemic have led to many distance learning innovations within Minnesota Adult Education. The Tech/DL Supplemental Services team provides a wide variety of PD and other resources.
Distance Learning website
One helpful source of information is our Distance Learning website, which includes the following:
- A comprehensive list of the 50+ Distance Learning Platforms approved for use within MNABE. These include those that are state supported, those that programs may purchase directly, and some that are free. The platforms are easily searchable by topic, literacy level, and funding source (state supported, direct purchase, or free).
- Resources to get started in delivering distance learning, with step-by-step implementation resources. This page also links to Minnesota ABE DL Policies and Procedures (including the recently updated State DL Policy).
- Professional Development information, including a variety of PD opportunities and resources. It also offers an in-depth explanation of requirements for certification in the Teacher Verification Model (TVM) as well as a calendar of upcoming TVM certification webinars and an extensive TVM FAQ.
- A News and Updates page provides information on recent news from the DL team, such as approval of new platform requests.
New Google Classroom course
We would also like to announce a new professional development opportunity for Minnesota adult educators. Get to Know Google Classroom is a self-paced, asynchronous course for adult education teachers who are new to using Google Classroom, a learning management system commonly used in Minnesota schools.
This course introduces teachers to the platform and walks through the steps of setting up a class, inviting learners to join the class, creating assignments, and sharing and collaborating with other teachers. A sincere thank you to adult education teacher Kris Klas of the Hubbs Center for Lifelong Learning for sharing their original class and materials with us, so that we can make them available to all adult educators in Minnesota.
To join the course, go to Google Classroom, login with your Google Account, and enter class code td3vjxb – or use the link above.
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/GED/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies