Join an Advisory Team and Help Guide Professional Development in MN ABE!Patsy Egan, ATLAS Director Astrid Liden, PD Specialist
Do you like thinking about how we grow as professional educators in ABE? Interested in helping design workshops, study circles, job-embedded cohort-experiences, conferences, and other professional development (PD) events? Five statewide leadership opportunities are coming up for Minnesota ABE practitioners. Your unique expertise and interests may be just what we need!
We are currently seeking applications for ABE teachers and administrators to serve as program representatives on five different advisory teams. Each of the five teams is tasked with designing relevant, meaningful, and effective professional development for practitioners within its area of focus:
Team and area(s) of focus include:
- Language & Literacy Advisory Team (known as LLATé) – language, reading, and writing instruction, including planning the January Language & Literacy Institute.
- Minnesota Numeracy Instruction Advisory Team (known as the A-team) – math and numeracy teaching, including the September ABE Math Institute (virtual in 2023).
- Transitions Professional Development Advisory Team – Transitions includes Adult Career Pathways (ACP) PD in Minnesota, ACES, IET, and postsecondary partnership.
- Administrator PD Advisory Team – administrator knowledge, skills, and dispositions for MN ABE programming, for example orienting new staff, mentoring and observation, budgeting, and strengthening programming models.
- Distance Learning (DL) Advisory Team – DL professional development and training, development of DL policies and procedures, approval of DL platforms and courses, and technical support for program staff.
Program representatives play a critical role in bringing local and regional PD needs to the committee and sharing PD information & resources with practitioners in their regions! They must be currently or recently employed with a Minnesota ABE program and have experience with ABE instruction or administration. Experience planning, delivering, or participating in local, regional or statewide professional development is a plus. Representatives receive a stipend in recognition of their work on the committee and gain valuable experience collaborating with a diverse group of ABE professionals on meaningful PD work that benefits ABE practitioners and programs.
Details about stipends, expectations, and meeting dates can be found within each application. Nearly all meetings are held virtually! Some ATLAS teams have kickoff meetings in person, and ATLAS will reimburse any travel expenses for those coming from a distance.
Applications for each of the teams are due by Friday, June 2, 2023. Committee members will be selected to ensure representation from diverse regions, types of programs, roles, and areas of expertise. Applicants will be notified of selections by mid-June.
If you have any questions about the LLATé, MNI A-team, Administrator, or ACP PD teams please contact Patsy Egan, ATLAS Director, email@example.com.
If you have questions about the DL Advisory team, please contact Susan Wetenkamp-Brandt, Senior Manager, Literacy Minnesota, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’d also like to extend a huge thank-you to our outgoing LLATé, MNI A-team, Administrator, ACP PD, and DL Advisory Team members for their commitment and contributions to MN ABE professional development.
- ABE Foundations/Staff Onboarding
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies