- MN ABE Connect
- *New* Adult Career Pathways Program Development ABE Administrator Cohort
*New* Adult Career Pathways Program Development ABE Administrator CohortLiz Andress, Adult Career Pathways Consultant
ABE administrators – You are invited!
Looking to start or strengthen a career pathway program? Join a group of fellow ABE administrators from across the state in a year-long action-oriented cohort to learn and then implement best practices in developing Adult Career Pathways programs in your area. Adult Career Pathways (ACPs) provide basic skills, training, and industry-recognized credentials that lead toward jobs that earn a livable wage, all in an accelerated time frame. ACPs can be an essential part of your work to provide Integrated Education and Training (IET) programming as encouraged by the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA).
Training sessions for this cohort will be practical and directly related to your real-life contexts. You will set your own goals and action steps for each module; you will receive support from peers and ATLAS trainers; and you will share your successes, challenges and learnings with the cohort. We will not create new work for you to do; we will simply equip you to do necessary ACP work with greater ease and skill, within a supportive network of colleagues!
Who should participate?
This cohort is intended for ABE administrators with a spectrum of experience, from very little to extensive. We will create a community of learning in which administrators will be integral resources to each other. This is for YOU if you are currently part of an adult career pathway effort that is new or ongoing; if you tried an ACP program in the past that was challenging; or if you are embarking with partners in developing a new ACP program.
There are many challenges in designing, implementing and sustaining effective adult career pathway programs and partnerships. In this cohort year we will focus primarily on:
- Understanding WIOA definitions/regulations related to ACPs and IET; various credential and pathway options; possible funding sources; and the role of ABE in ACP partnerships
- Understanding and developing partnerships with the workforce center “one-stop” in your area
- Building effective relationships with employers
- Addressing barriers to and creating strong referral/recruitment systems for strong program enrollments
- Providing access to various helpful program development tools
The cohort will engage in a variety of activities from August 2017 to May 2018, including:
- Kick-off webinar (August)
- Six-hour intensive workshop (August 15-16, St. Cloud, just prior to Summer Institute)
- Two more webinars in fall and spring
- Four “action steps” you choose in your locality, posted online to share with cohort
- Response to colleagues’ posts and two check-in calls with facilitator
- One-day wrap-up workshop (May)
Funds are available to cover travel and other approved costs associated with participation.
(Complete schedule of activities and more details about funding are provided on the information/application form.)
Questions? Please email Liz Andress, ATLAS Adult Career Pathways Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get MN ABE Connect—the official source for ABE events, activities, and resources!Sign Up
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/GED/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies