May 10, 2019
New DL PlatformsTom Cytron-Hysom, Consultant
The number of accepted time-on-task proxy hour distance learning (DL) platforms has been growing rapidly, as practitioners identify and document resources that can benefit learners.
Platforms approved recently include:
- GED Flash offers test-like practice questions for each of the four subjects on the GED: Reasoning through Language Arts, Social Studies, Science, and Mathematical Reasoning. This product is best used with students who score in the Too Close to Call range on GED Ready.
- Tooling U-SME is an online course for precision machining students at technical and community colleges. It involves learning about current manufacturing processes.
- Townsend Press develops reading comprehension, vocabulary, and writing skills. Lessons as well as mastery tests are provided. A library of readers is also available. Some essay writing is also available to submit to a teacher under the reading-writing connection plus series material.
- Vocabulary.com is an adaptive learning program for students to build their knowledge of English vocabulary and spelling. It provides learners with multiple ways to practice vocabulary, as well as track their progress. The program teaches words by systematically exposing learners to a variety of question types (definitions, images, synonyms, sentences etc.) and activities that help build mastery. It tracks words learners have already mastered and prioritizes vocabulary identified as challenging. It also allows instructors to create thematically specific lists to correspond with classroom materials and topics.
Remember that platforms that track time-on-task proxy hours, as opposed to relying on proxy hours based on unit completion, no longer undergo a full vetting process! All platforms that are ABE appropriate will be approved when a complete and adequate approval form is received and reviewed by the DL team. Programs can claim actual student time as proxy contact hours for these platforms, adding 15 minutes of time per hour to account for student and staff time that is not logged in as time-on-task. Basic information for the MNABE DL website is required for all platforms.
Tom Cytron-Hysom, Consultant MN ABE Distance Learning
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/GED/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies