Poster Session Presenters Needed for Summer Institute ConferenceRob Podlasek, Training Director
We are still looking for poster sessions for the 2019 Summer Institute Conference. Why should you lead a poster session? Here are the Top Ten Reasons to do a Poster Session at Summer Institute…based on feedback from people who have done a poster session in the past:
10. It is a great way to highlight something specific you’re working on in class, no matter how small.
9. It is a great way to get feedback on a “work in progress.”
8. You get to make connections with other ABE professionals who share an interest in your topic or project.
7. It is a great way to share without the jitters of making a presentation to a large group.
6. You get to help your peers develop their skills and expertise.
5. It’s an opportunity to share what you learned as part of the CCRS Cohorts, the Adult Career Pathways Cohort, the Technology Leadership Academy, the Technology Integration Initiative, the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) Classroom Implementation Course, the ESL or EBRI Study Circles or any of the awesome professional development opportunities provided this year.
4. You’ll learn as much as you share.
3. You’ll get two CEUs in addition to those you earn for attending the conference.
2. You’ll be entered into a drawing for a $25 Amazon gift card.
1. You get to use Glue Sticks!
Hosting poster session is fun and easy. Just make a poster highlighting a program innovation, new teaching routine, exciting classroom activity, etc. Then create a handout that people can take with them. During the poster session (1:15-2:00 on Thursday, August 15), stand by your poster, meet with your peers and answer questions. It’s like a science fair for ABE teachers!
Looking for inspiration? Here are some topics that are already lined up:
- Changes to ServSafe and Minnesota Certified Food Protection Manager
- Easy Accessibility options in Google
- Beginning ESL Learners on a Healthcare Career Pathway with CPR and First Aid Certification
- Free Living Wage Career Exploration Unit
- Design quality career pathway courses – ATLAS resources at your fingertips
- Adult Literacy Hotline
- Introducing a NEW Phonics Workbook for Low-Literacy Adult ESL
- Building a Positive Culture for Your Organization
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/GED/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies