- MN ABE Connect
- Resources for Volunteer Tutors Series: Classroom Activities for Adult ESL Learners Video Series
Resources for Volunteer Tutors Series: Classroom Activities for Adult ESL Learners Video SeriesMeghan Boyle, Tutor Training Coordinator
As a part of a brief, weekly series in MN ABE Connect, Literacy Minnesota’s Training Department is back with another valuable resource for volunteers – the Classroom Activities for Adult ESL Learners Video Series!
Are the volunteers in your program asking for more information about how to teach phonics, pronunciation or speaking? Would you like to see your volunteers integrate the CCRS or more routines into classes? Do you think your volunteer-led classes need more interactive activities? If your answer is yes to any of these, Literacy Minnesota’s Classroom Activities for Adult ESL Learners Video Series is here for you!
The Classroom Activities for Adult ESL Learners Video Series is a collection of more than 30 videos of both volunteer and professional teachers in real classrooms demonstrating lessons and activities that showcase the following:
- CCRS in the ABE Classroom at various levels from Literacy Level to High Intermediate ESL
- Pronunciation: final consonant articulation, word stress, intonation and more!
- Classroom Activities: walking dictation, conversation queue, exit ticket, mingle grid and more!
- Low Literacy Instruction: phonics, speaking skills and routines
Here are some ideas for using the videos:
- Choose a video that you think would be applicable to all the volunteers in your program or those working with a particular class. Ask them to view it, complete the reflection form and then meet to discuss it and brainstorm ways to integrate the strategies into classes.
- Keep these videos in your back pocket and use them as a resource when volunteers ask questions or ask for new ideas to implement.
- Simply send a link to the video page to volunteers and let them explore based on their own interests.
- If you happen to be a licensed teacher in MN, you can complete and submit an observation form to receive one CEU.
High-quality videos of adult education classrooms can be hard to find. The Classroom Activities for Adult ESL Learners Video Series is a treasure trove waiting for you and your volunteers to explore!
Get MN ABE Connect—the official source for ABE events, activities, and resources!Sign Up
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/GED/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies