SEL Resources for Minnesota Adult EducationElizabeth Bennett, Statewide Distance Learning Coordinator
The statewide distance learning team is excited to announce a new collection of resources for adult learners and educators: BASE social and emotional learning (SEL) courses! Up to 575 learners and 150 teachers statewide will be able to access these materials at no additional cost in 2022-23.
BASE courses can be used in several ways:
- Teachers can access professional development courses to learn more about teaching social and emotional skills. CEUs will be available for these courses upon request.
- Teachers can project an “instructional version” of most courses for use during synchronous online, in-person, or hybrid classes.
- Learners can work through online courses individually and asynchronously. Time on task for these courses can be counted as distance learning proxy hours (as long as the learner is also enrolled in core ABE content, such as a literacy or math class).
BASE courses have earned the “Promising” designation from the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) and are aligned to the CASEL Competencies and the U.S. Employability Skills Framework, which are similar to the Minnesota ACES-TIF standards. Most of the courses were designed for students in grades 6-12 and use language that is approximately at grade level 6. Thus, the courses are probably most appropriate for independent use by advanced ELLs and fluent speakers of English, although content could certainly be scaffolded by teachers for use with learners at lower levels of English proficiency.
Courses cover a wide variety of topics, including:
- Future Goals
- Healthy Communication
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention
- LGBTQIA issues
- Digital Citizenship and Safety
If you would like to request access to these resources for yourself or your learners, please ask your program manager/coordinator to complete this form. The deadline to submit the form is Monday, November 21.
If possible, you should also plan to attend the BASE SEL Overview webinar on Tuesday, November 29, 2:30-4:00 pm.
– REGISTER NOW >>
- ABE Foundations/Staff Onboarding
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies