The Launch of the New STAR TrainingMarn Frank, Literacy & STAR Coordinator
After three years of Project STAR development, state piloting, trainer training, and lots of anticipation, ATLAS is launching the new STAR hybrid training in 2019-2020 (STAR 20)! This new model of training uses a “flipped classroom” approach. New ABE managers and teachers (participants) learn about evidence-based reading instruction from online modules, submit assignments to an online portfolio, receive ongoing support from STAR trainers and their cohort, and action plan guidance from their STAR team (completers).
In Minnesota, there will be three in-person meetings focused on solving implementation challenges and preparing for the next modules. The meeting dates are September 12-13, 2019, January 24, 2020, and April 23-24, 2020. Mileage and hotel expenses for those travelling at least 50 miles from the meeting locations (100 miles or more round-trip) will be supported by ATLAS.
Despite these significant changes, the goal of STAR remains the same: to implement organized reading routines addressing the needs and priorities of Low/High Intermediate ABE and/or Advanced ESL readers. In many medium-large MN ABE programs, STAR routines are delivered during scheduled classes, with attendance expectations, and managed new student entry. In most small MN ABE programs, STAR routines are delivered to groups of 2-5 or individual students, who regularly attend open ABE/ESL class or lab times.
What are the expectations for STAR 20 managers and teachers?
- New STAR managers complete some of the modules; new STAR teachers complete most of the modules; new STAR managers and teachers attend all meetings and action plan together.
- Continuing STAR managers do not complete modules or attend meetings; new STAR teachers complete most of the modules, attend all meetings, and action plan with their STAR team.
What is the estimated time commitment for STAR 20?
- The estimated time for attending all in-person meetings and completing all online assignments is 66+ hours. The ATLAS stipend has been increased to offset this uncertainty.
- Our STAR 20 experience and evaluation will better inform the actual time needed by future STAR participants. NOTE: STAR training will not be offered during 2020-2021.
What are the tangible benefits?
- Access to high-quality, self-paced, and interactive learning modules
- Ongoing support from certified and experienced STAR trainers
- 66 CEUs based on full meeting attendance and assignment completion
- $500 stipend for fulfilling all attendance and assignment expectations
- Option of earning 3 graduate-level credits from Hamline University at reduced tuition
What is the application timeline?
- All required STAR 20 application materials will be accessible for viewing by Friday, March 22, 2019 on the STAR page of the ATLAS website.
- All completed STAR 20 applications and agreements must be received by June 1, 2019 for consideration.
How can I find out more?
- One of the STAR 20 application materials is a detailed, orientation slide show that explains What is STAR? What is EBRI? Who are STAR students and teachers? What are STAR 20 expectations, time estimates, benefits, and application steps?
- If you have any other questions, send them my way and I will answer them promptly. It’s best to contact me via email: email@example.com
MN ABE’s use of the new STAR hybrid training will be an interesting and exciting journey. All active STARs from 2008 and beyond – leaders, trainers, completers, coaches, and participants – will be ‘traveling’ and learning together! You are cordially invited to join us.
Originally published 3/18/19
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies