Watch Literacy Minnesota’s Awards Ceremony and Journeys Readings and Order Journeys Today!Kelly Rynda, Hotline and Salesforce Specialist
Congratulations to the inspiring award winners and student authors who made this year’s Awards Ceremony and Journeys Readings event on June 4 one of the highlights of the year!
Literacy Minnesota’s Awards Ceremony and Journeys Readings event is held annually with the adult literacy community in Minnesota. The event includes an awards ceremony at which adult literacy students, volunteers and community partners receive awards recognizing their outstanding achievements.
It also includes readings by adult literacy students who read their original stories and poems, many of which are featured in Journeys: An Anthology of Adult Student Writing.
This year’s event was held virtually on June 4, 2021, with attendees from ABE programs across the state, including staff, volunteers, students, friends and family. If you missed the live event, watch the recording and celebrate the winners of the Community Partnership Award, Volunteer Service Award, Outstanding Volunteer Award, Outstanding Learner and Lucille Fischer Award and Kraemer Memorial Education Grant Fund Award, as well as Journeys readers:
- Christelle Baissat, “The U.S.: Then and Now,” Robbinsdale Adult Academic Program
- Edgar De Alba, “My Best Friend in America,” St. Croix River Education District ABE – Chisago Lakes Area
- Sonita Soy Djos, “How I Met My Husband,” Harmony Adult Learning Center
- Tufah Muhumed, “Be Kind at All Times,” Open Door Learning Center Northside
- Maung Na, “My Life,” The Hubbs Center
- Rongyun Ruan, “Chinese Culture,” Metro North Adult Basic Education – Blaine
- Colette Tinkpon, “A Little Help Can Go Far,” Dakota Valley Learning Center
- Soklim Tou, “Cambodian New Year,” Lakeville Adult Basic Education
In its 32nd year, Journeys: An Anthology of Adult Student Writing showcases short written pieces by Adult Basic Education learners from every corner of Minnesota. Journeys is a book of stories. Within its pages, you’ll find memories, poems, art, tall tales and everything in between. These stories share the journeys and perspectives of adult literacy students enrolled in reading, English as a Second Language, GED, and basic skills classes across the state of Minnesota.
Did you know that Journeys contains an accompanying curriculum unit geared toward high-intermediate to advanced ESL learners? The learning objectives contained in the curriculum are aligned with the College & Career Readiness Standards (CCRS) and the Transitions Integrations Framework (TIF). Each lesson now includes suggested activity modifications for the virtual classroom (all using the Zoom platform). We hope you’ll take advantage of this resource in your classrooms! Unit highlights:
- Aligned with CASAS and TIF standards
- Updated for COVID-19 with activity modifications for remote instruction
- Written for High Intermediate to Advanced ESL learners (CASAS scores 211-235)
- 8 cumulative lesson plans, each ~1 to 1.5 hours long
- Includes ready-to-use activities
- Intended to be adapted to your unique classroom settings—whether in-person or virtual!
Journeys 2021, Retail Price: $14.00
Journeys 2021, Bulk price (5+ copies): $11.00
Journeys 2021, ABE Student Author Price: $6.00
- Adult Career Pathways
- CCR Standards
- Cultural Competency
- Digital Literacy/Northstar
- Distance Learning/Education
- HSE/Adult Diploma
- Mental Health
- Minnesota ABE
- One-Room Schoolhouse/Multilevel
- Professional Development
- Program Management
- Remote Instruction
- Social Studies
- Support Services
- Teaching Strategies